Israel needs friends at all levels of society. While it certainly helps to have a devoted friend of Israel in government, it also helps to have people in your hometown understand Israel’s situation and identify with the Jewish people.
Spreading the word in your community can take many forms. On an informal level, make a conscious effort to talk about Israel with people you see daily. Tell your neighbors, friends and coworkers how you feel, and try to explain why you believe Israel and Australia are friends and why Australia must support the Jewish state.
Always tailor your messages to the audience you are addressing. In other words, if you are talking to a friend from church, you can make reference to the biblical imperative of supporting Israel; if you are talking to a friend who does not share your religious views, you might stress the fact that Israel is a strong democracy and deserves our backing.
- Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.
- Israel is Australia’s ally in the war on terrorism.
- Israel grants citizenship and equal rights to all of her lawful citizens, regardless of race, religion or creed.
- Christianity, like Judaism, places supreme value on individual liberty and democratic ideals. Only one party to the conflict in the Middle East embraces democratic ideals. That country, Israel, deserves our support.
- Israel guarantees freedom of religion to all peoples, and free access for Christians, Jews, and Muslims to the Holy Sites under its jurisdiction.
- Compare Israel’s record on respect for religious shrines to those of the Palestinian Authority and Jordan. When Jordan controlled East Jerusalem between 1948 and 1967, it destroyed ancient synagogues and used Jewish gravestones from the cemetery on the Mount of Olives to pave roads. The Palestinians recently destroyed Joseph’s Tomb and continues to block access to Jewish worshippers who want to visit Rachel’s Tomb.
The Moral Imperative
- Terrorism is never justified.
- Israel is the homeland of the Jewish people—after 2,000 years of persecution and wandering, the Jewish people deserve to live at home in peace.
- Israel, like every other country on earth, has the basic right to live in peace.
- Israel, its leaders, and its people want peace.
- All of Israel’s goodwill cannot change the situation as long as Palestinian society continues to vilify the Israelis and teach terror and incitement.
- Christianity historically persecuted the Jews and taught a theology of contempt against them. Today, as more and more Christians seek to reverse those perverse actions done in the name of Jesus and Christianity, and recognize the Jewish roots of their own faith, they recognize that it is important to do everything possible to help the Jewish people.
The Biblical Imperative
God promised the Land of Israel to His Chosen People. He told Abraham, “And I will make thee exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.” (Gen. 17:6 – 9)